Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling tastes so much better than store-bought! And best of all, it’s super easy to make.
This is my family’s Easy Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling Recipe. We use the recipe for just about everything you can imagine – and pie too!
We love it on all sorts of desserts and it’s our favorite pancake topping too.
I’m posting two recipes later this week that will use this filling (No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake and Blueberry Pie Bars) so stay tuned for those, but I wanted the basic recipe to have its own post so it’s easy to refer back to later.
Blueberry Pie Filling
Have you every made you own pie filling before? It’s super easy and I love having it on hand for pancakes.
It also tastes much better than the canned stuff. It’s simply water, blueberries (or your choice of fruit), sugar and cornstarch.
Everything cooks together in a saucepan for just a few minutes until it is nice and thick and the fruit does such a great job at giving it color.
I’m also wrapping up a few more summer recipes and then I’m on to testing recipes for fall. (Isn’t that crazy! It’s the middle of July.)
However, in the blogging world, I’ve learned that seasonal content is never created in the proper season. This means pumpkin and apple everything will be here in September! Feel free to ignore it until you need it though.
How To Make Blueberry Pie Filling
- In a heavy, medium saucepan. Whisk together the cornstarch and sugar until there are no cornstarch lumps.
- Add the water, blueberries and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until thick.
- Remove from heat and cool. Use as desired. It stores tightly covered in the fridge for one week.
Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (optional, but it brightens it up)
- In a heavy, medium saucepan. Whisk together the cornstarch and sugar until there are no cornstarch lumps. Add the water, blueberries and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until thick. Remove from heat and cool. Use as desired. It stores tightly covered in the fridge for one week.
Here are some ideas to use your blueberry pie filling.
And these Mini Blueberry Pies are about the cutest handheld pie ever!