Today was one of those perfect summer days. We woke up early and went for a walk before the heat became unbearable. Then my mother-in-law kept the kids for a couple hours so I could get some blog work done. And then after naps, we headed to the pool to cool off for a couple hours.
A grilled meal and some evening work in the garden rounded out the day. Can all our summer days, be this fun and relaxing?
These blueberry pie bars are the epitome of beautiful summer days too. A soft, sweet dough with folds of sweet blueberry pie filling and vanilla glaze make them a perfect summer treat. You can either use homemade blueberry pie filling or a can from the store will work great too. Homemade filling is super easy though, all you need are blueberries and a few pantry staples.
So excited today to be sharing this recipe as part of the Summer Festival Blog Hop. Kendra, from Joy in Our Home planned a week of fun summer ideas from bloggers around the internet.
On Monday, 5 bloggers shared pretty summer decorating vignettes.
Yesterday, there were 5 gorgeous front porches. (I’m a little jealous of some of these.)
Today, we have 5 delicious summer dessert recipes
Thursday, will be 5 lovely tablescapes
Friday, we will wrap up with 5 summery mantle decorating ideas.
Be sure to check out all the ideas below. Country Side Cravings posted a delicious brownie ice cream cake that my husband would love.
Vignettes on Monday
Front Porches on Tuesday
Recipes on Wednesday
Mantles on Friday
Blueberry Pie Bars
For the Bars
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- [2 cups homemade blueberry pie filling]
For the glaze
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined.
- Grease a 10 x 15 inch baking pan. Reserve 1½ cup of batter, spread the rest on the bottom of the greased baking pan. Spread with blueberry pie filling. I like to use a bit more than 20 ounces if I have it. Using a teaspoon, dollop on the reserved batter in drops. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Let cool. To make the glaze, beat the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and enough milk to form a smooth consistency. Drizzle on cooled bars. Cut and serve. These are better the second day as the batter absorbs some of the moisture from the pie filling.