These chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes make a romantic dessert for Valentine’s Day. A chocolate cupcake made from scratch with strawberry cream cheese frosting and a chocolate covered strawberry on top.
Happy Valentine’s Day! And Happy 5 year blogging anniversary to me. 5 years ago on Valentine’s Day I published my first post which was these chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes. I thought to celebrate 5 years, I would remake that first post and republish it.
You can see my original photograph of the cupcakes below. And the paragraph below what I typed to accompany the recipe and pictures. I’m leaving it for sentimental reasons. 🙂
Happy Valentines Day! I hope you are enjoying the day and the chocolate that comes along with it! 🙂 It was great to be snowed in this year and have my husband around all day. Very romantic for our first Valentines married. Anyway, as one special way to celebrate I made him these awesome Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes. Its starts with a super moist, fine-crumb chocolate cupcake, then a creamy, smooth strawberry cream cheese frosting, and is topped with a strawberry, chocolate covered of course.
I thought it would be fun to share 5 of my favorite recipes that I’ve posted the past 5 years. These are the ones I make again and again and I’ve received great feedback from my readers on as well. Here they are:
- Monster Cookie Bars – a chewy peanut butter oatmeal cookies in bar form. These are super easy and a favorite to give to friends and family.
- How to make the best cinnamon rolls – These basic cinnamon rolls have been adapted into so many flavors on my blog. Raspberry is another favorite flavor.
- Andes Mint Cookies – one of your favorite Christmas cookies. Anyone who loves chocolate mint raves about these cookies.
- Rhubarb Bars – A springtime favorite that I make every year. And sometimes year round since you can make them with frozen rhubarb.
- Best Cocoa Powder Brownies – I just posted this brownie recipe recently, but I’ve been using it for years and is the base of many fun brownie flavors on my site.
*This post was originally published 2/14/14. I’ve updated the pictures and text, but the recipe remains the same.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
For the cake
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
For the frosting
- 1/4 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- chocolate covered strawberries for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Beat together hot water and cocoa until smooth, allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, whip together butter and sugar. Add eggs, beat until very fluffy.
- Mix together flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Add the cooled cocoa mixtures to eggs and beat till smooth. Next add the flour and beat for 30 seconds.
- Distribute the batter into lined cupcake tins, filling them 2/3 full. Bake for 15-18 min. Cool.
- For frosting: beat together softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add chopped strawberries.
- Beat in powdered sugar until consistency is right for frosting. Frost cupcakes (I used a lot of frosting, it adds a great strawberry flavor!) and garnish with a chocolate covered strawberry. Enjoy!
Here are some other recipes that would be great for Valentine’s Day: