Gooey Butter Cake is a buttery, sweet cake with a rich cream cheese layer. It has been an instant hit with everyone who tastes it.
Gooey Butter Cake
As the story tells it, Gooey Butter Cake is an old St. Louis, Missouri recipe. A German baker in St. Louis had an oven fail when making a traditional breakfast butter cake and this cake was a very happy result.
While there are endless variations on the original Butter Cake, this has become a family favorite.
I tried this cake for the first time this past summer when a friend brought one to our house for a potluck. I was instantly obsessed. I made so many butter cakes!
I shared this Gooey Chocolate Butter Cake a few months ago and it became a fast favorite for a weeknight dessert or for a special occasion. With only about 10 minutes of effort, you can have this cake in the oven making your house smell incredible.
I’ve played with the original recipe a bit for this cake and kicked up the cream cheese flavors in my version here.
Gooey Butter Cake Ingredients
- 1 package yellow cake mix (not a fan of cake mixes? You can make your own.)
- melted butter
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
How To Make A Butter Cake
I shared this cake with my church friends last week and it received two thumbs up from all of our friends. It’s a unique, sweet, and buttery cake that only takes a few minutes to make.
You’ll stir together the separate layers, pour them into the pan one on top of the other, and bake as directed. Easy peasy and you’re going to love it!
Don’t panic when it comes out of the oven. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey. It will be golden and puffy and slowly sink into the gooey cake that you want as it cools.
More Cake Mix Recipes
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies are made with just three ingredients! These cookies turn out soft and moist every time.
This Pumpkin Crunch Cake tastes like a pumpkin pie with a crunchy pecan streusel layer on top – and it’s easily made with a box of yellow cake mix.
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies are a fun cookie recipe that is perfect for Valentine’s Day or Christmas with its bright color and crinkly top.
Rhubarb Dump Cake only requires 6 ingredients and 10 minutes of prep time. Made with a yellow cake mix and strawberry Jello for a delicious spring dessert.
Rich chocolate cake filled with sweet juicy cherries and topped with fluffy whipped cream is a dream come true with this Easy Black Forest Cake recipe.
Gooey Butter Cake
- 15.25 ounces package yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines.)
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1 cup melted butter, divided
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 baking pan with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix well with an electric mixer. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add the remaining eggs, vanilla, and remaining melted butter. Beat again to combine. Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating until smooth.
- Pour over the cake batter in the pan and spread with a spatula. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey. Let cool at least 10-15 mintues before slicing.