Here is an easier version of strawberry shortcake. This strawberry shortcake icebox cake is simply golden Oreo’s, strawberries and whipped cream layered and chilled. It’s a perfect strawberry dessert recipe to take to a potluck, picnic or BBQ.
My first ever post on my blog was Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes. I smile (and cringe a bit) when I look at that posts, so read at your own risk. In four years of blogging, I have only posted 3 other recipes using strawberries! Which is a total shame since they’re the first real fruit of summer and I love to make all sorts of desserts using summer fruits.
So hopefully this year I can add a few more strawberry recipes to my collection. Who else loves strawberry shortcake? Growing up, we loved “strawberry shortcake”. To us it was a piece of yellow cake mix from a box, topped with sliced strawberries and cool whip.
As an adult, I was very disappointed to find out that real strawberry shortcake made with a crumbly biscuit. Save me the calories and just give me strawberries and whipped cream. Raise your hand if you hate the biscuits used in traditional strawberries shortcake as much as me!
So I’m definitely not about traditional strawberry shortcake, but you will find me with a love of all variations of cream, strawberries and cake. This Strawberry Shortcake Icebox Cake uses golden Oreos in place of biscuits. Layers of real whipped cream and strawberries complete the cake.
My tastes have grown up and I now prefer real whipped cream over cool whip, even though I don’t like the dry biscuits. But if you still prefer the nostalgia of cool whip, you can easily substitute it in the recipe below. (Which, by the way, would make this a 3 ingredient dessert. You can’t go wrong there).
After layering all the ingredients together, pop it into the fridge overnight, the Oreos will soften and become a layer that tastes exactly like shortbread. I split my oreos in half and removed the filling, you could leave the filling in if you prefer, the dessert would just be sweeter.
Strawberry Shortcake Icebox Cake
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 24 golden Oreos split in half and filling removed
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- In a large bowl, whipped the cream with the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread 1/4 cup of the whipped cream in the bottom of an 8x8 glass pan. Layer 16 of the oreo halves on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the whipped cream and 1/3 of the strawberries. Repeat layers twice more, ending with the strawberries. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Keep chilled until serving.
- This will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. After that, the strawberries won't hold up. This can easily be doubled for a 9 x 13 inch pan.
If you love variations on traditional strawberry shortcake, try these other fun twists.
Strawberry Shortcake Poke Cake from Lil ‘luna
Strawberry Shortcake Oreo Truffles from Life made Sweeter. I’m excited that this one uses golden Oreos too! Golden Oreos as strawberry shortcake are delicious!
Or try my Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes