*This post was originally published in July 2014. I’ve updated the pictures and tweaked the recipe.
I’m back with another ultra chocolatey recipe. It’s been almost two weeks since I posted my last chocolate recipe, which is a long time not to use one of my most favorite ingredients ever. (Some of my favorite chocolate recipes are, Chocolate Cookies stuffed with caramel, Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars and Chocolate Dipped Chocolate Chip Cookies.)
But these cookie dough brownies also rank up there as one of my all time favorites. I just can’t say no to brownies or chocolate chip cookies and here I get both.
I’m a person who loves cookies, but is all over the dough first. Cookie dough is the best therapy for me. I don’t need fancy flavor profiles and gourmet ingredients, just give me a bowl and let me eat to my hearts content. I promise I’ll love you forever.
A version of these cookie dough brownie has been around since I have been little. It was always a favorite at our house. However, I thought it could use a little improvement. I switched up the brownie base to my favorite fudgy brownies ever!! And then I added mini chocolate chips to the cookie dough.
Somehow when we were little we never noticed the cookie dough didn’t have any chocolate chips. But now in my cookie dough connoisseur days, their absence is very apparent and easily remedied. I also swapped out a chocolate shell topping for a fudge drizzle.
The only downside to making these is waiting for them to cool enough to spread on the dough and top chocolate layer on, and then waiting for that chocolate layer to set up. But they are oh-so amazing when they are done. Below is what the original looked like. If you want, you can melt a bag of chocolate chips with a couple tablespoons of oil and spread it over the cookie dough. But I like the fudge drizzle better.
Cookie Dough Brownies
For the Brownie Layer
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For the Cookie Dough Layer
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Fudge Drizzle
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup or honey
- ½ cup powder sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- To make the brownies, preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan. Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl. Whisk in the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract. Beat in the cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few crumbs. Let cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in milk alternately with the flour. Add the mini chocolate chips and stir until they are well distributed.
- Spread the cookie dough mixture on top of the brownies. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- To make the fudge drizzle, melt the butter in a medium microwave safe bowl. Stir in the cocoa powder, corn syrup, powdered sugar, and enough milk or heavy cream to make a smooth consistency. Microwave to 20 seconds and stir. Drizzle on top of cooled brownies. I put mine into a ziploc bag and cut the corner off for a more controlled drizzle. Let cool and cut into bars.
Do you love over the top brownie recipes? Try these other favorites from my blog.
Try my Nutella Brownies for Two