These thick and soft triple chocolate chip cookies have a chocolate cookie base filled with dark and white chocolate chips.
What are your favorite things to do on a summer weekend? Our weeks are so busy with us both working, keeping up on the house and taking care of a baby, so the weekends are when we get to hang out together. Sometimes that’s doing something fun together, sometimes its working on a project together (hello, landscaping) or our favorite it probably traveling somewhere.
Last weekend we road tripped to Nashville, TN to see our Sister and Brother-in-Law. It’s a 12 hour trip and we were a bit nervous how it would go with Cameron on that long of a drive. We had done a shorter 8.5 hour trip to Ohio and there was more crying on the trip than the previous 2 weeks combined. Because of this we decided to sleep part of the night ourselves to get some rest and then we took off at 2 in the morning. The plan worked beautifully and Cameron slept soundly the first 6 hours of the trip.
And then he was a pretty happy camper the second half too, although he required a bit more attention and a few more stops. We had a lovely weekend in Nashville and spent a lot of the time talking and just catching up on life. We did manage to brave the hot, humid weather and tour Andrew Jackson home, The Hermitage. I don’t think they know what a breeze is down there. But it was a lovely weekend with family and we’re mighty thankful for air conditioning.
In preparation for our road trip, I made us a few snacks to much on, and help us avoid fast food. Although these Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies weren’t on this list this time. They would make an awesome road trip snack. They’re soft and chocolately and filled to the brim with more kinds of chocolate. Everything you could want in a cookie.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch. Stir into the wet ingredients. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for at least 3 hours. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and bake for 9-11 minutes or until set. Do not over bake the cookies. They should like slightly doughy when they are taken out of the oven. Let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Here are some other fun cookie recipes to try:
S’mores Stuffed Cookies from A Cookie Named Desire
Thick and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies from Dessert Now Dinner Later
Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from My Baking Addiction