Smooth, tangy lemon filling baked on a shortbread crust and dusted with powdered sugar.
What is your opinion on lemon? Love it or hate it? I feel like lemon desserts fall into a love or hate category with people. There is no middle ground. In my house, I love lemon desserts, my husband won’t touch them. So it’s what I make if I want to eat the whole pan. My favorite lemon dessert would be simple, ordinary lemon bars. The smooth, slightly tart filling pairs with the sweet, crisp shortbread so well.
This is a total side track topic since I’m not feeding lemon bars to my baby yet. But, have any of you made your own baby food? I’ve just started into this venture and could use some tips. Right now, I’m feeding him basic purees, peas, sweet potatoes, apricots, avocado. The hardest part is figuring out how to freeze it. Using ice cube trays to freeze it until it’s solid and then transferring the frozen cubes to ziploc bags is clunky. But buying individual containers for each meal is pretty expensive. Give me your best tips for baby food storage.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. To make the crust, beat together the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Gently stir in the flour just until combined. Press the dough into the bottom of the 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake at 350 F for 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and flour. Pour over the cooled crust. Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until the filling is set. Let cool. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Store in the refrigerator.
Here are some other fun variation on lemon bars:
Lemon Pie Bars from Deliciously Sprinkled
Oatmeal Lemon Cream Bars from Belle of the Kitchen
Lemon Cheesecake Bars from Shugary Sweets