This is my family’s all-time-favorite apple pie recipe. And it’s the best apple pie in the world, not that I’m biased or anything.
A French Apple Pie meets a Dutch Apple Crumb topping to create the ultimate apple pie dessert. Once you’ve made this apple streusel pie, you may never try another recipe!
My family calls this multicultural apple pie because it has French Pie Filling and a Dutch Apple Crumb on top, but it is the best of both world’s. The recipe has been adapted by my mom from several apple pie variations in the Betty Crocker cookbook.
The French Apple Pie recipe in the cookbook has a creamy apple pie filling made with whipping cream and the Dutch Apple Pie recipe has the signature streusel on top. This combines both of those recipes into the best apple pie recipe in the whole world.
My whole family agrees, but especially my dad who is the apple pie connoisseur of the family. He orders an apple pie every year for his birthday. (which happens to fall right during apple season) he loves his apple pie with a good dousing of milk, but the rest of us prefer it plain or al a mode.
How to make the best apple pie
Start with a good crust, like this all butter recipe from King Arthur Flour. Although, if I’m in a hurry, it’s still delicious with this cheater oil pie crust.
Once you have the crust made, the most tedious step is peeling and slicing the apples. Slice them thin so they will soften during baking. I slice them about 1/4 inch thick.
The rest of the recipe is tossing the apples with some flour, sugar and spices. And then making a super simple streusel topping. When baking the pie be sure to keep a close eye on it for the last 15 minutes of baking and if it starts to brown too fast, cover loosely with a sheet of foil.
What type of apples should I use to make apple pie?
This all depends our your favorite texture for pie. We like our apples soft so our favorite apple to use is old-fashioned cortland. They soften well while still retaining their shape.
For those of you who prefer more firmness, granny smith are a classic tart baking apple. This recipe is sweet enough that a tarter apple works well, but I know some people can’t get enough honeycrisp apples and love to use them in baking. Honestly, whatever kind of apples you have on hand will work just fine. I’ve made this pie with many different kinds.
Like all apple pie, it’s best served warm, with ice cream. If you’re looking to get the clean slices like I have in the picture, you’ll have to let it cool completely though. This is the basic version of my cranberry apple crumb pie.
If you’re looking for another pie recipe this fall to serve for thanksgiving, also check out my Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie with Streusel. They make a pretty dessert table when paired together.
Let me know if you make this recipe, leave me a rating and tell me how it went in the comments below.
The Best Apple Pie Recipe in the World!
For the Pie
- [Pie Crust for a 10 inch pie I use my cheater oil pie crust most of the time]
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups of peeled and thinly sliced apples
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or evaporated milk
For the crumb topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter cold
- Make the pastry for a 10 inch single crust and set aside. Preheat oven to 425° F. Mix the sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt together in a large bowl. Add the thinly sliced apples and gently toss to combine until all apples are coated. Arrange the apples in the pie crust and carefully pour the cream over the apples
- To make the crumb topping, in a small bowl, stir together the flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until pea sized. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apples. Bake for 50 minutes. Keep an eye on the pie for the last 15 minutes and gently set a sheet of foil on top if the pie browns too quickly.
- Let cool for at least an hour before slicing. The pie is best served warm from the oven. But to get a clean slice, you will have to let it cool completely. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired, but it’s definitely not necessary.
Save this recipe for later. Pin the image below on Pinterest.