Craving gingerbread but don’t have time to make those cute, little gingerbread men? Try these quick and easy, soft gingerbread bars.
It’s snowing this morning for the first time this winter and it is giving me all the joyful Christmas feels.
I want to curl up under a blanket with hot chocolate, listen to Christmas carols, bake cookies, wrap presents, go on a snowy walk outside, stamp our Christmas cards and decorate for Christmas all this Saturday.
I made these easy gingerbread bars a few days ago when the baking bug bit, even though I said I was done baking Christmas treats for the year.
I actually ended making them again yesterday and tweaking the recipe a bit so they are even better.
Soft Glazed Gingerbread Bars
For the Gingerbread Bars
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar, beat in the molasses and egg. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well combined.
- Press into the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs. Let cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla and enough of the milk to make a smooth consistency that is easy to drizzle. Drizzle onto cooled bars. Cut into squares.
Here are some other Gingerbread treats I would love to bake if I had time:
Gingerbread Crinkle Cookies from If you Give a Blonde a Kitchen
Gingerbread Loaf from Tastes of Lizzy T
Classic Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake from Dinner, then Dessert
If you prefer gingerbread flavors in cookie form, check out my soft Molasses Crinkle Cookies!