A salad for special occasions, this Pear, Pecan and Blue Cheese salad is simple and drizzled with a tangy Dijon Vinaigrette.
This is my family’s favorite salad and we make it every Christmas. In general, my family likes to switch up our menu each year. We don’t have set traditions when it comes to food, we make what sounds good at the time. This salad is the exception. I think we’ve had this salad every year for about the past five years. So I think that says something about this salad. It’s delicious and it only has three toppings for the lettuce.
Now, it’s far from Christmas, but this salad is good year round. And to tell the truth, I had made this salad way back in December and was planning to share it with you month’s ago, but somehow these brownies and these cupcakes, as well as these cookies were more exciting to post than salad. You see where my loyalty lies, although I must post healthy salad recipes occasionally to prove that I don’t not eat sugar all the time. (The pecans in the salad are candied though 😉 )
Pear, Pecan and Blue Cheese Salad
- Pear and Blue Cheese Salad
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 16 cups romaine or spinach or a blend of whatever lettuce you love
- 3 ripe pears diced
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- [1 recipe Dijon Vinaigrette]
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Toast the pecans for a few minutes and then sprinkle with the sugar and salt. Cook one more minute. Watch carefully so they don't burn. Allow them to cool on paper towels.
- Place the torn lettuce in a salad bowl, top with cooled pecans, diced pears and blue cheese. Dress the salad immediately before serving.
Healthy Dijon Vinaigrette
These salads also sound delicious for special occasions:
Avocado Strawberry Spinach Salad from Gimme Some Oven
Mandarin Salad from Shugary Sweets