Classic peanut butter balls made with graham cracker and dipped in chocolate taste just like reese’s peanut butter cups are an easy, no bake candy recipe that’s perfect for Christmas and the holidays.
I love my classic recipe for peanut butter balls (aka Buckeyes) and sometimes my peanut butter balls with rice krispies hits the spot with an extra crunch, but sometimes when you’re having a reese’s peanut butter cup craving, you need to make your peanut butter balls with graham cracker crumbs.
I especially enjoy this recipe because there are only 6 ingredients and I don’t even have to turn on my oven! Talk about a win-win.
They are also Tyler’s favorite christmas candy. There’s just something about peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate that make them irresistible. Dip them in milk chocolate for the most reese-like experience.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Balls with Graham Crackers
You probably keep all of these ingredients in your kitchen anyway, so this is a great dessert you can whip up at the last minute without even having to make a store run.
Peanut Butter: I love smooth peanut butter for this recipe, though if you prefer a crunch, you can choose crunchy peanut butter as well.
Unsalted Butter: Your butter should be softened, but not melted. Take it out of the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before you start cooking, so it adjusts to the room temperature. This will make it easier to work with while preparing your peanut butter balls.
Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar will add that extra sweetness to take your peanut butter balls with graham crackers from good to great.
Graham Crackers: These are the icing on the cake for this recipe. Crush them well, so they mix well with the rest of the recipe.
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: You want to select quality chocolate chips because they will coat your peanut butter, so they have to be delicious.
Vegetable Shortening: Shortening is needed to thin out the melted chocolate chips and create a delicious coating for your peanut butter balls. I’ve also read that coconut oil makes a good substitute.
How to make peanut butter balls with graham cracker crumbs
You want to start by lining your cookie sheet with parchment paper or wax paper to prevent the peanut butter balls from sticking. You don’t want to leave any of this tasty treat on the cookie sheet.
Next, combine the peanut butter, butter, and powdered sugar in a large bowl until they form a creamy consistency. Once that’s done, add your graham crackers until they’re all well combined.
Then you’re going to take your peanut butter and graham cracker mixture and create your ball shape. Place them on your parchment covered cookie sheet and let them chill for 30 minutes. You can place the cookie sheet on the counter if it’s not too warm in your house or in the refrigerator.
Once your balls are chilled, you will prepare your chocolate coating by mixing chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat the chocolate chips for one minute then stir. Continue heating in 20-30 second increments until the chocolate is almost melted. When it is nearly done, stir the mixture until it’s completely creamy.
Now comes the fun part. You want to dip your peanut butter and graham cracker balls into the chocolate and place them on a cookie sheet until it firms up. This buckeye post has a ton of tips for dipping in chocolate.
If you have any leftovers, place them in an airtight container so they can maintain their freshness over a few days.
● Be sure to chill your peanut butter balls before dipping them in chocolate. Taking this extra step allows the balls to hold their shape when coated with the warm chocolate mix. I’ve placed them in the freezer for awhile with good results
● You have two options when melting your chocolate – you can put it in the microwave for 30 seconds increments until it’s reached the desired consistency, or use a double boiler.
● Your chocolate might thicken up as you’re dipping your peanut butter balls. If that happens, melt the chocolate again until you get the right consistency and continue.
● When your peanut butter balls with graham crackers are done, feel free to decorate them to your liking. Add sea salt, sprinkles, extra chocolate, nuts, or whatever you think will mix well with this delicious dessert. We sprinkled them with a dusting of graham cracker crumbs.
● To make these taste like reese’s peanut butter cups, use milk chocolate chips to dip the peanut butter balls.
Let me know if you make this recipe, leave me a rating and tell me how it went in the comments below.
Peanut Butter Balls with Graham Crackers
- 1 ½ cups peanut butter smooth
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ⅓ cups graham crackers crushed
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate if you’re going for the reese’s flavor
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening coconut oil would work too, but it makes the chocolate coating a bit harder
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. In a large bowl, cream together peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar.
Stir in graham cracker crumbs and mix until well combined and smooth. Shape into balls, about 1 inch in diameter place on cookie sheet and chill for at least 30 minutes
In a large microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and shortening. Heat for 1 minute and stir, then continue heating for 20-30 seconds and stirring after each interval until chocolate is almost melted
Stir until completely smooth. Dip balls into chocolate with a fork and place on cookie sheet until firm. Store in airtight container in refrigerator
Save this recipe for later. Pin the image below on Pinterest