Pot pie has never been easier to make than this chicken pot pie with crescent rolls! All the irresistible flavors of the classic dish are here in a perfect balance of savory chicken and wholesome veggies, wrapped in a buttery crust.
Chicken Pot Pie with Crescent Rolls
This dish has everything that you could ask for in this hearty comfort food. Tender chicken, a medley of vegetables, and a savory gravy that binds it all together.
But, what really sets it apart is the convenient crust made from flaky crescent roll dough. It bakes up buttery and golden brown. It’s a shortcut that makes this dish easier to put on the weekly menu at my house.
You can make this casserole in a regular pie plate, though I baked it in a 9×13 baking dish. I think it’s a little easier when making chicken pot pie with crescent rolls, because the tubes unroll into long rectangles.
This is the kind of hearty dinner that fills me up for hours. It’s packed with protein, making this a satisfying and substantial meal.
Crescent Rolls Chicken Pot Pie
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- milk and butter
- chicken broth
- cooked chicken
- frozen mixed vegetables
- yellow onion, celery, and carrots
- garlic powder, salt, pepper, and celery seed
Start by preheating your oven to 375°F. Then, grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and celery and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the flour, then slowly stir in chicken broth and whisk to combine.
Add the milk and seasonings. Then, reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and vegetables. Stir to mix throughout. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Unroll the dough into 2 long rectangles; pinch along the perforations to seal the holes. Lay the dough out over the filling and pinch along the middle seam to seal. Then, press the outer edges of the dough to the rim of the baking dish.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Make Ahead Instructions: The filling for this recipe can be made in advance. Just cover it and chill in the refrigerator. When ready, just reheat the filling and pour it into the casserole dish, then top with crescent rolls.
Freezing Instructions: The unbaked filling freezes well for 2-3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then heat the filling, pour it into a casserole. Top with crescent dough and bake according to the instructions.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe with Crescent Rolls
I also like to make this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with Biscuits. It has the same creamy, savory filling, but it’s topped with flaky biscuits. And, Ground Beef Pot Pie is also a winner, with meat and veggies in a classic pie crust.
If you have a few extra minutes, stir together some cheesy drop biscuits for this spicy chicken pot pie casserole.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftover roast beef, then you absolutely need to try this Leftover Roast Beef Pot Pie. You can also make it with cubed beef. Either way, it’s a quick and easy recipe, especially with this 10 Minute Pie Crust.
Looking for a Tex-Mex twist? A Cornbread Taco Bake has spicy ground beef and is topped with cornbread instead of pie crust. It’s impossible to resist!
Crescent Roll Chicken Pot Pie
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped small, about 1 cup
- ⅔ cup celery sliced very thin, about 3 ribs
- 1 cup carrots diced small, about 3 carrots
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 4 cups cooked chicken diced into ½-inch pieces
- 12 ounces frozen mixed vegetables about 2½ cups
- 1 count canned crescent rolls approximately 8 ounces
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter and set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and celery and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour. Slowly stir in chicken broth and whisk to combine.
- Add the milk and salt, pepper, garlic, and celery seed. Reduce heat and simmer over medium-low heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and vegetables. Stir to mix throughout. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Unroll dough into 2 long rectangles; press perforations to seal. Place rectangles over chicken mixture; pinch center edges to seal. Press the outside edges of the dough to the edges of the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.