Thick, chewy chocolate sandwich cookies filled with a creamy pumpkin spice buttercream are a snacking and dessert favorite for fall.
I made these cookies while visiting family a few years ago. The unanimous verdict on these Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream was they’re absolutely amazing.
While you’re making your fall baking plans, I recommend saving the recipe for these Pumpkin Toffee Cookies too.
If you’ve read my blog for very long, you know I enjoy combining chocolate and pumpkin. These Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirled Brownies, the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie, and the Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Dip are evidence of that.
I like to make these sandwich cookies miniature, just about two inches across. While I personally think mini cookies are more fun to eat, they’re also easier to handle when filled with buttercream.
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream
For the Cookies
- 1 and 1/4 cups butter softened
- 1 and 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Pumpkin Spice Buttercream
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/3 cup pumpkin
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- To make the cookies, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined.
- Using a teaspoon of dough, roll the dough into balls. Chill them for 4 hours to overnight. Bake at 350 F for 7-8 minutes. Do not overbake. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and pumpkin in a mixer on high for 2 minutes. Beat in pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and powdered sugar. Use milk or additional powdered sugar to thicken or thin the frosting as needed.
- To assemble the cookies, spread a dollop of frosting on the bottom of one cookie and top with a second cookie.
Try these other cookies!