I’m backtracking on the peppermint for a minute and talking about cranberries and apples. I made these browned butter cranberry apple bars for Thanksgiving and they are just too good not to share. Besides, cranberry and apple are still delicious for Christmas as well. The nuttiness the browned butter gives just make them the best!
This was actually my first time baking with fresh cranberries. I love them, but in the past I would use dried cranberries in my baking. (Have you tried my white chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookies? They’re on of my most popular recipes now, for good reason! Just forgive the pictures. I’ve learned a lot since then) Fresh Cranberries are fun and easy to work with they have a natural starch in them that thickens up the filling. It like magic 🙂 This recipe was adapted from these Brown Butter Blackberry Bars from Inside BruCrew Life. They sound amazing too~
Brown Butter Cranberry Apple Crumb Bars
- 1 and 1/2 cups cranberries about 6 ounces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cup finely diced apples
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, granulated sugar and water. Bring to a boil and simmer until all the cranberries have burst and the sauce is thickened stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Brown the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Watch it closely as it can go from brown to burnt within a few seconds. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Stir together the browned butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, oatmeal and cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined and crumbly.
- Press half of the mixture in a well greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Stir together the cranberries with the apples and spread on top of the crumb base. Top with the remaining crumb mixture. Bake in a preheat oven for 26-28 minutes. Let cool.