Wow! Where did August go? I meant to share this zucchini bread earlier, but life happened so I’m trying to squeeze it in here before September.
We’ve had been looking forward to a August since earlier this spring, when my family planned a trip to the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. Not only did we planning on doing lots of our favorite vacation activity, hiking, but we were also excited to be all together for the week. My sister and her husband and baby came from Oregon, my parents and siblings drove from Ohio and we flew from Philly. Sort of a central meeting spot 🙂 The mountains didn’t hurt anything either.
We hiked for most days, with a break to go white water rafting one day. My family’s dream has been to go on a vacation where we could do some serious hikes, but up until this year, there were too many young children with short legs to make it to far.
This year, my youngest brother is six, so even though we had to babies along with us, we put them in back pack carriers and carried them through the mountains with us. The hikes and views were stunning, and by the time we left, we were already planning our next trip there in three years.
The next Monday was rough :'( Leaving my family and the mountains for work was sad. But aren’t we so thankful for little getaways, even if they do make for rough Mondays?
While we’re talking about my family, this is their favorite, easy zucchini bread recipe. The one we make to use up all the extra zucchini at the end of summer and it’s the best, definitely not the healthiest version out there though. It’s has a cakey, moist texture and the cinnamon flavor is the best.
Classic Easy Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease and flour an eight inch loaf pan. Beat together the eggs, oil and sugar. Stir in the zucchini. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, alternating with the milk. Gently stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs
Here are some other fun variations of zucchini bread:
Lemon Zucchini Bread from A Latte Food
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread from Joyful Healthy Eats