The unforgettable tang of rich, buttermilk cake is topped with a layer of sweet caramel frosting in this Buttermilk Cake with Caramel Icing.
Chances are good you’ve had buttermilk cake before. Ever eaten red velvet? That recipe is traditionally made with buttermilk, as well. So, just trust me if you aren’t sure about that ingredient. Buttermilk keeps the cake crumb incredibly moist!
This buttermilk cake recipe uses an old fashioned brown sugar icing. It’s just like grandma made, using simple ingredients to create magical goodies. In fact, this cake comes together so easily, you’ll feel like you’re making magic, too.
Brown Sugar Icing
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe:
- kosher salt
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- Brown Sugar Icing
Begin by preheating the oven to 350°. Then, line an 8-inch pan with parchment and set aside.
In a large bowl, add the sugar, flour, salt, and baking soda and whisk to combine. Then, add the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla, and whisk again to combine.
Pour the batter into the parchment-lined pan. Then, bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
Immediately after removing the cake from the oven, pour the warm brown sugar icing over the cake. Cool completely before slicing and serving.
Buttermilk Cake Recipe
Looking for more desserts like this buttermilk cake?
This is the best Pumpkin Cake you will have all year. It’s an easy, moist pumpkin sheet cake with brown butter icing that is frosted while it’s still warm, Texas sheet cake style.
Ho Ho Cake begins with a rich chocolate cake, topped with a fluffy vanilla filling and a smooth chocolate frosting. Just like your favorite childhood treat!
Buttery crunchy toffee and candy bar pieces are layered with cool whip atop a dessert so deliriously rich, this Heath Bar Cake should carry a warning label.
Moist, sweet, and lightly spiced, this Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is the food of which sweet tooth dreams are made.
Indulge in a chocolate lover’s dream with flavors that will leave your taste buds craving for more. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake.
My husband often requests a Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting for his birthday. This is a soft chocolate cake topped with a fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth peanut butter frosting is a dessert worthy of the most special occasions.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk room temperature
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe for Brown Sugar Icing
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8-inch pan with parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar, flour, salt, and baking soda and whisk to combine. Add the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.
- Pour the batter into the parchment-lined pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
- Immediately after removing the cake from the oven, pour the warm Brown Sugar Icing over the cake. Cool completely before slicing and serving.