A simple but hearty supper, perfect for cold nights, this beef barley soup is a family favorite.
The last few days have been some of the coldest of winter so far (our first negative temps of the season). No matter how warm we heat our house, we can’t get warm, because the cold is seeping in through every little crack. My family came to visit me this past weekend though and we had a blast staying inside, playing games and eating good food. This Beef Barley Soup is an easy favorite and is perfect for those extra cold nights.
This soup was a staple growing up and for good reason. It’s delicious and comforting as well as easy, because it uses canned beef. Canned beef was something I assumed was sold everywhere, that is until I got married and couldn’t find it in the grocery stores. The canned beef makes this soup a snap, but if you can’t find it, beef stew meet or a soup bone will also work.
Beef Barley Soup
- 1 can beef 25 ounces, undrained
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 large potato
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- Peel and dice the onions, carrots and potatoes. In a large pot, combine all the ingredients except for the frozen corn and barley. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the corn and barley (both uncooked) and simmer for another hour on low heat. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Note: If unable to find a can of beef, a beef soup bone may be used instead. If you choose to make this substitution, add 1 cup of water and 1 additional beef bullion cube.
How about 1 hour, 1 pot Zuppa Toscana?
Try this Apple Dumpling Bake with the Beef Barley Soup, another perfect comfort food!
While we impatiently wait for spring, try these other comforting soups.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup from Dessert Now! Dinner Later!
Or how about Lightened Up Chicken Noodle Soup from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
And you can’t go wrong with this classic Three Bean Chili from Whole and Heavenly Oven.