Who wouldn’t love a rich chocolate cupcake with fluffy milk chocolate frosting for their birthday!?!? Be sure not to forget the sprinkles.
A few days ago, I posted my favorite chocolate cake recipe. These cupcakes are an adaptation of that recipe to bring you the perfect chocolate cupcake.
They are topped with a fluffy milk chocolate frosting and sprinkles to make them birthday perfect.
The recipe is pretty straightforward in technique. Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs and other liquids, and stir in the dry ingredients.
Nothing out of the ordinary. The key to making these cupcakes light and fluffy is to whip that butter first. And I mean whip it, on high speed, for at least 4 or 5 minutes.
I can’t emphasize the importance of this step enough. Whipping the butter for that long traps thousands of little air bubbles inside which will be expanded by the baking soda. Baking soda doesn’t create any new air bubbles it only expands the ones that are already present.
This recipe also uses oil in addition to the butter for fat. I love the properties of butter for creating a light cake, but oil makes a moister cake.
One last thing to note in the recipe, don’t over mix the flour in. Too much mixing develops the gluten within the flour making a tough cake. With these tips in your arsenal, you are prepared to create the perfect chocolate birthday cupcakes.
For another super fun cake to try, put this Ho Ho Cake on your list!
Chocolate Birthday Cupcakes
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ½ cup butter softened slightly
- 1¼ cups white sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar give or take
- 2-4 tablespoons milk or cream
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Boil 1 cup water in microwave. Whisk in cocoa and vinegar until smooth. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer, beat 1 stick butter for 4 to 5 minutes on high speed. Add the sugar and beat for another couple minutes. Add the oil and eggs, mixing well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add to the mixer and mix until just combined. Fill lined cupcake tins about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched. Cool completely on wire racks
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until smooth. Beat in 3 cups of powdered sugar until smooth. Add enough of the milk to reach the right consistency for spreading or piping. Beat in a pinch of salt to taste.
- Frost the cupcakes, generously of course 🙂 and top with sprinkles.