This is one of those recipes where all I need to convince you to make these caramel stuffed double chocolate chip cookies is to show you a picture like this one.
That warm caramel though 🙂
Or how about this close up? Look how thick and soft they are? They’re definitely the best warm, but I loved them the next day, and the next and even frozen, straight from the freezer.
Food bloggers are known for claiming every recipe they post is there absolute favorite and how they are going to make that recipe every week for years to come.
I try not to do that a too much (I don’t, do I?), but there are some recipes that are so good I can’t help myself. (Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls or Monster Cookie Bars!) These caramel stuffed double chocolate chip cookies are definitely one of those recipes I could go on and on about how good they are.
They’re thick and soft, packed with as many chocolate chips as the dough can hold, and stuffed with soft melted caramel. If you eat them warm from the oven that is. Definitely the best way to eat. If you by chance find that a few snuck by and cooled down before you could eat them, pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up and soften the caramel again.
Oh, and the secret to making them extra pretty, is to press a few additional chocolate chips on the top of the warm cookies as soon as they come out of the oven. Other than stuffing the cookie dough balls with caramel, it’s a pretty standard cookie recipe. Normal ingredients in a normal order with a bit of chilling time. Don’t skip the chilling, it’s what keeps them from spreading too much. Oh and this recipe only makes 18 cookies, so if you’re plan ahead and make a double or triple batch.
These cookies would be perfect for an afternoon snack, a midnight snack with milk, as a gift for neighbors or even on a Christmas cookie tray. They’re pretty much the answer to everyone’s cookie dreams.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 and ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 18 soft caramel candies. I used Werther's Original Soft Caramels cut in half, they were about a half inch in diameter
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch. Stir into the wet ingredients. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for at least 3 hours. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Roll tablespoons of the dough around the caramel candies. Chill for at least 20 more minutes to firm them up.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until set. Do not over bake the cookies. They should like slightly doughy when they are taken out of the oven. Let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Do you like stuffing things with caramel as much as I do, try these other caramel stuffed treat.
Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodles from Yellow Bliss Road
Salted Caramel Stuffed Brownies from RecipeTin Eats
Caramel Stuffed Nutella Cookies from The Recipe Critic