I have one last Thanksgiving recipe for all of you last minute planners, and believe it or not, it’s not dessert. Instead, I’m going with the healthy ingredient of squash. Although, by the time all the sausage and cheese is added, I’m not sure if it is too healthy anymore. Who cares on Thanksgiving anyway, and second of all it is a vegetable so even if you cover it with cheese, you’re still eating a vegetable. Right?!?!? My logic makes perfect sense.
This sausage spaghetti squash casserole would also be delicious as the main course for a weeknight meal.
Sausage and Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 spaghetti squash 3-4 pounds
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 and ½ cups ricotta cheese
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook spaghetti squash until tender. Use your favorite method. I cut my squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Then, I place it cut side down in large glass pan with about a cup of water in the bottom. I bake it at 400 F for about 45 min - 1 hour or until tender.
- Scoop the squash out of the skins and fluff with a fork, Drain any excess liquid. Gently stir in melted butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Spread the squash on the bottom. Spread ricotta cheese on top. Sprinkle with cooked sausage. and then top with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until heated through. Cover with foil to prevent browning.