These chocolate covered marshmallow cookies have a thick chocolate cookie base, topped with a marshmallow and fudge frosting. It’s kind of like hot chocolate in cookie form.
I’m on a chocolate cookie kick. Last week I posted my Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies, and earlier, I also posted Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Cookies and Chocolate Turtle Cookies last year. Lots of Chocolate Cookie Recipes for Christmas to choose from. Hold on, because I also have two more chocolate cookie recipes coming before Christmas, Chocolate Mint Cookies and Chocolate Reese’s Pieces Cookies.
How to make Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies with Fudge Frosting
These cookies are deceptively simple and are a perfect cookie for Christmas parties or Christmas Cookies Exchanges. They one step up from your cookie jar favorite, but don’t require lots of rolling, chilling and frosting time. The dough does need to chill so I like to make it a day in advance.
Then, after they are baked, simply press half of a marshmallow on top and let the residual heat of the cookie melt them. The fudge frosting is also easy. One bowl and a bit of microwave time is all you need. I just spooned the frosting over the cookie letting some of the marshmallow show. But you can spread it around if you prefer to cover the marshmallow for a fun surprise cookie.
How to Store Marshmallow Fudge Cookies
These chocolate covered marshmallow cookies will keep in a tightly covered container for about three days on the counter. Otherwise, they freeze great for up to several weeks.
I thought about calling these marshmallow fudge cookies “hot chocolate cookies” because it’s kind of like eating hot chocolate in cookie form. They are pretty fun an addicting and kids especially love them.
Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies
For the cookies
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 10 large marshmallows cut in half
For the fudge frosting
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or cream
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch. Stir into the wet ingredients.
- Chill the dough for at least 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and bake for 9-11 minutes or until set. Do not over bake the cookies. They should like slightly doughy when they are taken out of the oven. Gently press 1/2 of a marshmallow on top of each cookie while they are still warm.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the fudge frosting, add the melted butter, cocoa powder, corn syrup powdered sugar and milk or cream to a microwave safe bowl. Stir together and microwave for about 20 seconds. Stir again. Spoon over cooled cookies and let cool.
Chocolate Caramel Marshmallow Pops from Domestically Blissful
Hot Chocolate with Chocolate Covered Marshmallow from Local Haven
Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
And here are some other cookie recipes from my blog: