I have officially joined the s’mores craze. I don’t know why it took me so long. What’s not to love about rich chocolate, crunchy graham crackers, and sticky marshmallows? Here is a new way to try the classic campfire treat in cupcake form. Its starts with a graham cracker crust, then my favorite chocolate cupcakes stuffed with marshmallow fluff, and topped off with silky milk chocolate frosting and more graham cracker crumbs.
These are the perfect little deserts for the times this summer when you wish you could have a classic campfire, but can’t. There is just something classic about s’mores in the summer time. I may have been dreaming up several other s’mores themed deserts in my kitchen. Stay tuned for them. What are your favorite classic summer deserts?
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 T sugar
- 2 T butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened slightly
- 1 and ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup + 1 T vegetable oil
- 2 eggs +1 egg yolk
- 1 and ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups marshmallow fluff
- 1 and 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar, give or take
- 2-4 T milk or cream
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, 3 T of sugar and 4 T of butter.
- Press a scant tablespoon of the graham cracker crumb mixture into the cupcakes liners. The cupcake recipe makes about 20.
- Boil 1 cup water in microwave. Whisk in cocoa and vinegar until smooth. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer, beat 1 stick butter for 4 to 5 minutes on high speed. Add the sugar and beat for another couple minutes. Add the oil and eggs, mixing well. Stir in the cocoa mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add to the mixer and mix until just combined.
- Fill lined cupcake tins about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a wedge shaped piece out of the center of each cupcake. Fill with a teaspoon or two of marshmallow fluff. Here is a great tutorial on how to fill cupcakes without fancy equipment.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until smooth.
- Beat in 3 cups of powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add enough of the milk to reach the right consistency for spreading or piping. Beat in a bit of salt to taste.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with additional graham cracker crumbs if desired.
If you like these make sure to check out my s’mores squares