My love of sweet yeast rolls continues with these lemon blueberry rolls. Juicy blueberries and fresh lemon are baked inside buttery sweet yeast rolls. They are a perfect weekend baking project.
Lemon blueberry is a favorite flavor combination in our house, even those who do not normally like lemon like it when it is paired with blueberry. I recently updated and reposted our favorite lemon blueberry bread. And that got me thinking what other baking recipes could I turn lemon blueberry with my magic want. At least I wish it was that easy.
I love sweet rolls and any sort of sweet yeast bread. (I posted a whole week’s worth of recipes for yeast breads earlier this year if you weren’t following along then.) And so I decided a lemon blueberry sweet roll version was in order. It’s similar to the raspberry cream cheese version on my site, only using frozen blueberries instead of raspberries and adding in a bit of lemon zest.
Be sure to use frozen blueberries in the recipe, not fresh, because fresh ones will release too much juice right away. Good new is if you only have fresh, they can be easily frozen 🙂 And the other good news is since they require frozen blueberries, these lemon blueberry sweet rolls can be a year round dessert or breakfast treat!
What meal are you most likely to eat cinnamon or sweet rolls at? Breakfast? Brunch? Dessert after dinner? Bedtime Snack? We believe in enjoying them whatever time of day they are made.
- 1 Recipe Basic Sweet Yeast Dough
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk
- Make the dough as directed in the basic sweet yeast dough post through the first rise. Be sure to read the post for all the tips and tricks to make the perfect sweet yeast dough.
- Mix together the frozen blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest.
- Work with half of the dough at a time, roll half of the dough into a 10 x 18 inch rectangle. Brush with half of the melted butter and sprinkle on half of the blueberry filling. Roll up tightly from the short end and pinch shut. Using a thread, or very sharp knife, cut the log into 8 or 9 rolls. Place on a greased baking dish ½ inch apart. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Let rise in a warm spot for 2-3 hours until doubled in size. Bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes. Double check the center rolls to make sure they are not doughy before removing from the oven.
- To make the glaze, combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice and enough milk to make a smooth glaze. Drizzle over cooled rolls.
If you’re a lemon blueberry lover like me, here are some other lemon blueberry treats to enjoy.
Baked Lemon Blueberry Donuts from the Recipe Rebel.
Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars from The Girl Who Ate Everything.
Lemon Blueberry Pancake Bites from Gather for Bread.
These Raspberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls are one of the most popular recipes on my site.
Brown Butter Peach Sweet Rolls are my personal favorite.