With only a few days until Christmas, I’m sharing one more treat for the season and since I’ll be celebrating Christmas in the Buckeye State, I figured it would be only fitting to share this treat. Buckeyes have been a classic and absolute favorite for my family for Christmas ever since I can remember.
I grew up in Ohio, where the state tree is the buckeye, and the nuts from the tree (Which are actually poisonous) look exactly like these candies. The first Christmas my east-coast husband and I spent together, I asked him if he wanted a buckeye. He looked at me funny, but I soon found out he they were one of his favorites too, only he knew them as peanut butter balls. We were just meant for each other 🙂
These buckeyes have a short ingredient list and are simple to make, just like the majority of my Christmas treat recipes; no candy thermometer needed. When it comes to dipping them in chocolate, I recommend doing it in the microwave and taking your time. As the chocolate cools and thickens, don’t be afraid to take a break and reheat it. It will make for prettier buckeyes. Most of all, have fun. Put on some Christmas music and enjoy making one of my favorite Christmas treats.
- 12 oz peanut butter, (we like to use natural to keep the sweetness level down.)
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 16 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat peanut butter and butter. Stir in vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Place the chocolate in a deep bowl and microwave for 10-15 seconds at a time, stirring between intervals, until melted.
- Dip the chilled peanut butter balls three fourths of the way into the melted chocolate and place on wax paper to set.
Try these other fun Christmas Treats!
For more peanut butter and chocolate recipes check out:
Peanut Butter Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats – How fun!
This delicious Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
and these totally addicting Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars